Sunday, January 10, 2016

How I Survived the First 6 Weeks of Parenthood

Whoa. Those first 6 weeks after baby arrives are no joke. I hands down survived with Richard taking care of all-things that made us function as a family of three with two furry ones in those early weeks... followed by my mom happily crashing on our couch for a full month in our tiny NYC apartment. Diaper changes, feedings, dog duty, meals, CLEANING... those two were amazing. 

So if I am ever crazy enough to go through 9 months of insanity pregnancy bliss, followed by a terrifying memorable few days in the hospital, bookended with no sleep and recovery pure joy... then I really want to remember how I survived. 

And it's true, as they all say... I'd do it all over again! ;)

Jim Gaffigan
Humor around New York City and parenting, what a perfect combo for us! And thanks to my mom, we had a date night to see him live at Madison Square Garden!



Seinfeld 
We watched so much Seinfeld in the early days that we 
named Elle's wubba-nub pacifier, Jerry. ;)


My Mama
No explanation needed. When I became a Mom, I needed my Mom. :) 




Coconut Oil 
Miracle worker, ladies.


Babywise 
I realize this book looks like it is from the dark ages, but listen, it allowed us to start sleeping. When you start to sleep, your sanity returns.


Bringing Up Bebe 
As a parent, you feel guilty over whatever theory, method, brand or 
crazy philosophy you choose. Awesome. So read what you like, skip over what you don't. I wish I had taken this advice in the early weeks.


Lucie's List
Three words - registry + urban + humor 
Life and stress saver. 


Bjorn Bouncer 
Giver of shower-play-cooking-dressing and all-things-functioning. Thank you dear flat-folding, behind the door storage amazing bouncer that Elle loves.


Rock-N-Play
Thank you "middle-of-the-night I've decided I hate my crib and will scream my head off" rocking sleep saver.


Date Nights 
Thank you, thank you, thank you Mom (or Grandma according to Elle). ;)


Taking Cute Photos of Ellie Belly
This just made me so incredibly happy, especially while healing and feeling down. 


Friends 
Our wonderful friends just make everything better - from laughing to venting to caring for us! Loved getting to celebrate Richard's 30th birthday in the midst of learning the ropes of parenthood.

... shared feedings, countless meals provided by our amazing church family, scriptures of encouragement for new parents, my faith,  accepting and asking for help, crying when I needed to cry, SHOWERS, staying active, napping, getting outside and establishing routines (even if they change a million times).



1 comment :