Friday, December 27, 2013

Habitat for Humanity - Staten Island

Reflecting back on 2013 memories… 

Over the summer we had the opportunity to join Hope for New York and Habitat for Humanity on Staten Island for a home build. I'll be honest with you, I had no desire to build any part of a house. I've coordinated house builds before for volunteer groups but never participated in one. The thought has always freaked me out. I've had kitchen fires, spilled a paint can in our kitchen and Richard's car, and I'm not one for patience or measuring... so we usually have extra holes in our walls and I never use paint tape. I know. 

But I went and...

Loved the team building and sense of accomplishment.
Saw for myself just how bad off areas still are and how they have not returned to normal. 
Proved to myself that I could do a home building project. 
Became delirious and laughed a lot. 
Prayed for the community and the recovery. 

I'm glad I went. I've said before that defining your volunteer journey can be tricky. And it is. But I'm glad I stepped outside of my comfort zone. 

No comments :

Post a Comment