Monday, November 18, 2013

Celebrating Richard. Turning 28.

Richard turned 28 on Thursday! For us, Richard's birthday really kicks off the holiday season. We just love this time of year - and we love celebrating birthdays. Ok, really, we love celebrating anything and everything.  Since temperatures dropped, I wanted to make him a yummy, filling and hearty meal. Hello, Chicken Pot Pie. Since I was walking all over our neighborhood pulling together last minute items for his special day, I ran out of hands and ended up substituting quite a few things on this recipe but it turned out great! This will certainly be a keeper since I can mix the recipe up so many different ways (recipe below)!

I was beyond excited to give Richard his birthday gift this year! Richard has so many wonderful memories of growing up hunting in the tiny town of Chester, TX with his Dad. With a little research and help from family, I was able to give him a framed map of Tyler County from the 1930's and a picture of the house he used to stay in during his hunting trips! I believe it is extremely important to capture those wonderful memories in your home to share with friends, family and later on, kiddos. 


Since we were in Texas a few days before the big 28, we had a fun lunch celebration with family. Richard's sister baked a yummy cake that gave us an extended sugar high. 



Once we were back in NYC, we continued the celebration with a fun variety of donuts from Doughnut Plant in the Lower East Side. I don't eat donuts too often. But let me just tell you… these were delicious.  We had peanut butter and jelly, coconut cream and tres leches. The peanut butter and jelly was my favorite! The six of us were in donut heaven. 


I'm sure you can tell that Richard has something to do with this collage.. :)

Cheers, Richard! I hope 28 is filled with joy, new adventures and as always, lots of laughs. You make me smile every single day. And here is an ode to saddle oxfords. You rocked those shoes over 20 years… =) 




Chicken Pot Pie 
Mix and Match Mama
Shopping List
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound chopped, cooked chicken (click here to see how I get my chicken)
2 cups frozen vegetable medley (mine had corn, carrots, peas and Lima beans in it)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
1 can biscuits (I used Grands)
Salt and Pepper 

Instructions 
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Melt butter in an oven safe skillet over medium-high heat (see below if you don't have an oven safe skillet).  Add in your cooked chicken, frozen veggies, soup and milk with a generous amount of salt and pepper.  Heat through about 5 minutes.

Top mixture with your biscuits and pop in the oven.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until biscuits are brown and chicken mixture is bubbly.

Remove from oven and serve.


If you don't have an oven safe skillet, then just transfer everything from the skillet to an 8x8 glass baking dish and bake it in there.

Jessa Note: This time, I substituted with ground turkey (chicken), cream of mushroom soup (chicken soup) and greek yogurt (milk)! Also, make sure the biscuits are fully done before pulling from oven.


Happy Birthday Richard!

2 comments :

  1. Everything looked good! Even served him on your china! Glad you all had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! Can't wait to try that recipe this winter!! :)

    ReplyDelete