Sunday, February 15, 2015

A final farewell to Gigo

I've known it was coming for about two years now. But that type of knowing that goes by slowly and is blurry. The type of knowing that isn't always linear. 

I thought I was prepared for it, that it would feel like the expected time. 

But it was hard. It is hard, really hard. And I couldn't place my finger on the why

Finally. Finally. Finally. It hit me… I lost someone that advocated for me no matter what. I didn't have to fight for this advocate, or ask… it was just given to me. And I needed it. We all need advocates. 

I hope that I am that type of unconditional advocate to others in my life.

--- 

My final words read at the funeral… 

Growing up, I have to say that I most definitely had the strangest name for a grandparent in my circle of friends. When I was little, I couldn’t quite pronounce a traditional grandparent name…and I’m certainly an impatient person who likes to be ‘on the go’… so I’d say “Gi”… as in some form of grandmother…coupled with “Go”.. because, you know, let’s get the show on the road.



So let’s talk about Gigo.




She taught me how to make KRAFT mac-n-cheese. A skill that I would lean on all too heavily throughout college…


When I would share typical girl frustrations, she always reinforced that I was the prettiest girl in school. Even if the conversation was about, well, math class…

As for fashion, she reinforced all my outfit choices. And I’ll never forget how she somehow made, what I still swear by, a bib seem like the most fashionable thing on the market. I assure you, it was not…


Once I started my career in the nonprofit world, she would listen for hours upon end about projects I was working on, causes I was fighting for... and she always ended the conversation by telling me how proud she was of me…and that she couldn’t believe I was working for… free! Even though I assured her over and over again that nonprofits still paid people. Ha!




She took an instant liking to Richard, my now husband, since he was a Tony Romo fan. 

And when Richard and I moved to New York City, she would call me on a routine basis to let me know that she was watching ‘The View’ and looking for me in the crowd. Also, to let Richard know that he needed to keep me safe on those dangerous subways…




The best part about grandmothers and gigos are the memories that will always stay with you. It’s the pictures, silly sayings, difficult times and bonds that grow out of love. These are things we all will miss, but will forever hold in our hearts.


I know Gigo will continue cheering us all on, and the Cowboys of course, from Heaven. 



No comments :

Post a Comment