Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Sweet potatoes or yams?

Sweet potatoes or yams? Is there a difference? 

That's what everyone kept asking while we were busy attacking those little suckers with potato peelers. 

An hour later we had buckets, upon buckets. 9,000 meals were to be served that week. 

Last year, we had a great experience volunteering at The Bowery Mission during Thanksgiving week. We quickly signed up again when the email came through. That night, it was in the 20's. Absolutely freezing. Not surprising, neither of us felt like going anymore… we just wanted to bundle on the couch and watch a movie.

But we went. 




I was a little annoyed once we arrived and there were a million volunteers. Too many volunteers. I understand this struggle all too well from my nonprofit days. To turn down a volunteer can feel like pushing someone off a mountain, a mountain that so desperately needs people climbing up it, quickly and well prepared. I was even more annoyed when I realized that 3/4 of the volunteer group was there from a prestigious New York school. I thought to myself, "oh great, rich kids…what fun…". 

What is wrong with me?  

The volunteer group was nice and filled with people wanting to help. Even if their perspective on the world was different than mine, they were there. And for all I know, the person next to me was judging me for something. And I was just there too, trying to help. 




As men and women flowed in from the streets looking for a warm place and hot meal, we marched out one by one providing that momentary comfort. A simple meal with a smile and acknowledgment. Something we receive three times a day, if not more. 

I saw a man steal a food tray and dump leftovers in his bag, quickly and unashamed. Another man was so drunk that he could barely sit up at the table. I watched as a food delivery guy came in, ate his meal in silence and then slipped out the door. That could have been the same guy that delivered our food to our apartment last week. I received a special request from a guy for a plate with no meat. You see, being a vegetarian, he was concerned that meat might go to waste. He didn't want someone else to go without. 

I understand that homelessness is a vicious cycle - a cycle typically filled and fueled by abuse, addiction and poverty. I understand that many times, an individual becomes homeless by the choices they make in life, repeated choices. I get that because it hits very close to home for me. It frustrating, sad, maddening. 

But what I will always go back to is this… 


Leviticus 25:35-36
“If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you.

Isaiah 58:7
“Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?”

Luke 14:13-14

“But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”

Oh yeah, sweet potatoes and yams really are different. But I still can't tell you the difference. However, I can tell you that I am glad we went. Once again, our hearts and minds were changed, imprinted. Our hearts were filled with gratitude for the lives we live. We were reminded that it only takes one day, one moment in time, for the life we cherish to forever change. 


No comments :

Post a Comment