Saturday, June 1, 2013

Rat Hockey Tuesdays: The tale of those that lost their tail...

One of the things that I have loved about our move to New York City is the flexibility I have with my job. I work from home (or around the city) a good majority of the time. However, it doesn't come without its challenges....specifically, Rat Hockey Tuesdays. And I don't mean this rat.

While accepting a work meeting invite on Tuesday mornings between 9AM - 10:30AM would not bother most, it makes me cringe. Imagine this: maintenance staff, hockey sticks, cheering.

I've been referencing Rat Hockey Tuesdays since our third week in NYC. I guess I failed to give all the specifics to Richard. He understood that every Tuesday morning there is a mad-dash for which maintenance worker can kill a rat the fastest. What he didn't understand is that they bring (yes, bring from home I suppose) their own hockey sticks and play a real hockey game. Once the "puck" has been captured, the game begins.

Have I told you about our gorgeous view?


Oh yes, we live in between buildings and overlook the garbage AKA the Tuesday morning hockey rink. A lucky NYC apartment find. Go us.

As you can imagine, Tuesday mornings are quite loud with all the murder excitement going on below our window. Pickle and Sundae do not approve (we raised them well) and often bark their disapproval out the window. Can you imagine having to explain to your boss what is causing so much noise? "Oh you know, today is Tuesday...Rat Hockey Tuesday". So now you become the weirdo. Awesome.

Icing on the cake? I have a strange connection with my neighbors. Last Tuesday I locked eyes with the 2nd floor girl looking out her window too... I could feel her annoyance pain.

No comments :

Post a Comment