Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Neon Green Grass - Corporate Philanthropy vs. Nonprofit

Inspiration is a funny thing. Sometimes I want to feel inspired so bad that I search endlessly through independent films, quirky novels and forgotten blogs. And I do find it sometimes. But I think the best inspiration comes when you least expect it. As such is life.

A little over a year ago, I was planning out my professional development activities with my boss. When the word conference was mentioned, I sighed heavily and said I'd rather go back to school than sit through another dry, freezing and mind-blowingly boring conference on the same topics, repeated issues with cotton-candy answers and speakers who either were "volun-told" to speak or truly love hearing their own voices. Thus, I started my continuing education at New York University. Which, I am beyond thankful for. However, when a co-worker had to drop out of a conference last minute, I was the replacement. Oh the torture!

So there I was on that warm, breezy Tuesday morning. I flew out of our little Upper East Side apartment and ran down York chasing a cab to take me to Columbus Circle during rush hour. I figured, hey, at least the views will be nice right? Yes, they were indeed. But the content, ohhh the content. It was fantastic. Teary eyed - I am ready to walk outside and change the world type of content. The views were an added bonus. Sitting there in the intimate room of 200 other corporate grantmakers and volunteer managers, I felt so moved watching performances and hearing impact stories with the skyline of Manhattan draped around the room. When you sit behind a computer all day putting together presentations, answering emails, approving grants and trying to figure out another way to engagement associates and impact the community... you sometimes have to take a step back to get re-energized.

Anyone that has worked in the nonprofit and corporate philanthropy realms can tell you the internal dilemma that one often faces... the grass being greener, like neon green on the other side. The type of neon green that will allow you to make a bigger, larger and more impactful splash in the community. When you are working your days away inside a nonprofit you are in the weeds. Tired and dirty, understaffed and never loud enough. But you feel connected, deeply connected to the stories and lives of those that you are working with and for. You see and get the small picture. But wait, there is a larger, grander picture. Ahhh, and it can be seen from the corporate philanthropy angle. So you cannon ball into corporate philanthropy ready to make a splash so large that it tidal waves into all the nonprofit causes that you so deeply care about, those that you know how to fix. There are funds, more staff and processes and training and materials than you have ever seen. More than you know what to do with. The excitement, oh the excitement. And you are everyone's best friend. Then there come corporate politics, and you realize just how large and complex this little world of ours is, just how many issues, how many hands, how many strategies - good strategies. You feel disconnected from those weeds that you once knew all too well, those stories, those personalities. You begin to feel lost in this dichotomy.


Time Warner Building overlooking Central Park... told you the views would be grand.

And on the days that you feel this internal pull and struggle, you search for something to center you. Something to make sense of your passions, your need for social change and desired impact. I was blessed to attend the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy (CECP) Summit held in New York City this month. After hearing so many amazing speakers, performers and social entrepreneurs, I started to wonder...how am I going to change the world? What is my big plan? What am I going to do today? The speaker addressed this, almost like she could hear my thoughts. She said, "We need social entrepreneurs, big dreamers, world changers...these people are the driving force of social change. But you know what we also need, even more do-ers, workers, and pushers to get this work done. You don't need a big grand idea or proposal. Social change and impact happens one day at a time, no matter what sector you work in or what part of the puzzle you work on."

I am reminding myself that life is a series of events, chances, challenges and opportunities. All of which can lead to social good, impact and change. And for that, I am thankful.

***

I found the below to be extremely moving and inspirational.

The Power of Storytelling for Social Change (documentaries)
Girl Rising is a groundbreaking film, directed by Academy Award nominee Richard Robbins, which tells the stories of 9 extraordinary girls from 9 countries, written by 9 celebrated writers and narrated by 9 renowned actresses. Girl Rising showcases the strength of the human spirit and the power of education to change the world.

American Promise A documentary 13 years in the making, American Promise provides a rare look into the lives of two middle class Black families as they navigate the ups and downs of parenting and educating their sons.
Social Change through Arts Performance
No Child, written and performed by Nilaja Sun, is a tour-de-force exploration of the New York City public school system. An insightful, hilarious and touching master class not to be missed by anyone who is concerned about the state of our education system and how we might fix it.

Local change started by one very young girl's hope for her brother
Pathways for Exceptional Children To create a future for children of all abilities where they are included, valued, and empowered to redefine the world.




No comments :

Post a Comment